September 8, 2011

Update on data collection

My back-up data collection plan within the high school context hit a snag late last week. The assistant principal of the school notified me that I could not conduct my research project on the collaborative team meetings without first obtaining the permission of "downtown." This means contacting the head of research and evaluation for Knox County Schools and submitting a written research proposal. I don't perceive this as being given the run-around, just an unfortunate side effect of the highly centralized, top-down administration for which KCS is well known.

I submitted my research proposal just under the wire, as all requests are reviewed on the second Monday of each month.  How long it takes for a reply remains uncertain. Based on the wording of the KCS policy, I fear my request will be declined because of the potentially sensitive nature of the collaborative team meetings I wish to audio record.  I suspect the fact that I am assuming a learner's stance and that the project is for fulfillment of a course requirement, not publication, will not serve to mitigate KCS's strict interpretation of the policy.

Here are the first few lines from "Regulations and Procedures for Conducting Research Studies in Knox County Schools":

Knox County Schools desires to keep abreast of changes in educational technology, results of current educational research, and innovative educational programs. Therefore, we welcome the opportunity to be a part of the development and testing of innovative ideas and quality research in education. However, it is the obligation of Knox County Schools and the research committee to protect the interests and learning opportunities of its students, teachers, and stakeholders. These interests and opportunities will not be sacrificed in order to establish a setting conducive to research. Thus, each proposal to conduct research will be examined carefully on the basis of whether it contributes significant new and useful information to the educational program of Knox County Schools and public education as a whole. In general, permission to conduct research may be denied when the study is deemed: (1) to interfere with instructional time, particularly when student responses are required; (2) to be too socially or politically sensitive; (3) to have little or no educational research value; or (4) to be too great of a burden on Knox County Schools personnel.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Be nice! And thanks for visiting my blog!