August 30, 2007

Announcing the official launch of ThinkTime

Welcome to my new node in the education blogosphere! I can't think of a better time to launch than Blog Day 2007.

As part of a summer-long project to abate my Google addiction, I have moved from Google-owned Blogger to WordPress.com. The fact that another "Analog Girl" had taken up residence at Blogger only hastened my decision. The tenor and tone of her blog is quite different from my own, and, not wanting any room for confusion, I thought it best to pull up stakes and relocate.

While I will miss being "Analog Girl" and sharing association with the wonderful song performed by Texas singer Guy Clark, I am excited about the new title. It was born out of a recent post in which I lamented the loss of "think time" in the sometimes frenetic atmosphere of the read/write web. (Teacher trainers and those who trade in pedagogical catch-phrases will recognize the term.)

The name change also signals a shift in attitude -- a gradual coming to terms as these transformative tools become more and more integrated into my personal and professional practice.

I will end this post in typical blog fashion, by crediting an author who in turn credits another author. Mike John, a graduate student in Wales, posted this insightful description of blogs, which he found at Wired magazine's blog network:
Blogging is not about making friends, it’s about expressing yourself truthfully and in the process providing some hitherto unforeseen insight into an important issue or topic of the day. If you make friends, that's a bonus. Real bogging is about shedding the politics and letting it all hang out. Sometimes that honesty yields less than enjoyable results, but other times the honesty of certain blog posts can inspire us all into action or thinking about important issues in a different light.

What do you think?
technorati tags:

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I am following you to your new spot. I still wonder what the purpose of blogging is and I appreciate your reflections. I think some let it all hang out, while others use it as a certain voice of the many voices they have in their live (ie - analog girl as opposed to thinktime). while still others use it to generate certain kinds of discussion (ie atheists and christians blog together) or others try to generate discussions about "how-to's" in life (my sister is constantly reading about how to rear her kids or do things through them). i wonder if blogs are better if they are more concentrated and one form of thinking. i wonder if it would be better to have different blogs for different kinds of posts for myself.

    anyway - nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff! Very well-designed. Keep the ideas coming, people are paying attention!

    IK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you are doing and how you are thinking. I just wanted to let you know that I DO make it here sometimes (not often enough), and that I consider this site a great resource. Thanks for putting it all together. I was unable to access your survey at work (we have also been slammed busy, which is nothing but a good sign!), so I'll try it again from home. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice! And thanks for visiting my blog!